Type checking tools for Python 2?

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 21 14:36:35 EDT 2015

On 21/04/2015 19:08, Skip Montanaro wrote:
> I've been following along with the discussions related to type
> hints[1] on python-ideas and python-dev. I'm interested enough to
> start looking into this for my own nefarious purposes. At work, we
> have lots of C++ code wrapped by Boost.Python. It seems like creating
> type hint stubs for those libraries might be useful. Even if it proves
> not to be all that useful for me, it's a ready code base which I could
> mess around with and not bother anybody else.
>
> Alas, my environment is still 100% Python 2.7. It looks like mypy
> isn't going to be doing Python 2.x anytime soon. Are there any type
> hint/check tools available which will work with Python 2?
>
> Thx,
>
> Skip
>
> [1] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0484/

Nothing at all wrong with Python 2.7.  Possibly better still from
https://github.com/JukkaL/mypy it says "You need Python 3.2 or later to
run mypy. You can have multiple Python versions (2.x and 3.x) installed
on the same system without problems."  I'm just thinking out aloud, does
this mean you could use a 3.x version running anywhere you like to check
out your 2.7 codebase?  Just a thought, and only one way to find out
unless somebody better qualified than I am can give a definitive statement.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence