Type checking tools for Python 2?

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 14:08:26 EDT 2015

I've been following along with the discussions related to type
hints[1] on python-ideas and python-dev. I'm interested enough to
start looking into this for my own nefarious purposes. At work, we
have lots of C++ code wrapped by Boost.Python. It seems like creating
type hint stubs for those libraries might be useful. Even if it proves
not to be all that useful for me, it's a ready code base which I could
mess around with and not bother anybody else.

Alas, my environment is still 100% Python 2.7. It looks like mypy
isn't going to be doing Python 2.x anytime soon. Are there any type
hint/check tools available which will work with Python 2?

Thx,

Skip

[1] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0484/