New to Python - block grouping (spaces)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 23:05:30 EDT 2015

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 12:54 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 06:41 am, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>
>> Lisp has a noncanonical textual representation just like Python.
>
> Python has a noncanonical textual representation?
>
> What is a noncanonical textual representation, and where can I see some?

I think what Marko means is that there is a textual way to represent
Python source code, and there are multiple files that represent
identical Python programs, hence "noncanonical". If you have two UTF-8
encoded files that contain the same text, they will have the exact
same bytes in them, because UTF-8 defines a canonical byte
representation for text. You can't say that about Python source.

ChrisA