New to Python - block grouping (spaces)

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 21:46:33 EDT 2015

On Sunday, April 19, 2015 at 11:38:45 PM UTC+5:30, Dan Sommers wrote:

> What's to revamp? My IDE is UNIX.

Precisely my point: source-file = text-file is centerstage of Unix philosophy
If you want to start by questioning that, you must question not merely the language (python or whatever) but the matrix in which it is embedded

> Java programmers who don't dare leave their beloved pointy clicky IDE
> for a command line store their source files as plain text (and they
> cringe when I sed sed against those source files, but I digress).  The
> one project I ever did on a mainframe had a common text editor that
> supported FORTRAN, JCL, and COBOL, and stored source code in files of
> containing fixed length records of EBCDIC characters, IIRC.

And in all likelihood different from the files (not really text) created
by Cobol

> The notion
> of a "line of code," even in white-space-neutral languages, is deeply
> rooted in punch cards, and isn't going away anytime soon.
>
> IMO, until git's successor tracks content-_not_-delimited-by-linefeeds,
> languages will continue to work that way.

Yeah...
For what I (and I guess bartC) are talking about to succeed we would need
- more structured diff/merge in git (etc)
- corresponding sed/grep etc
- editor (plugins)
- etc

http://blog.languager.org/2013/09/poorest-computer-users-are-programmers.html

So yes its more work than making a new language