New to Python - block grouping (spaces)

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sun Apr 19 09:22:55 EDT 2015

On Sun, 19 Apr 2015 09:38 pm, BartC wrote:

> Suppose there were just two syntaxes: C-like and Python-like (we'll put
> aside for a minute the question of what format is used to store Python
> source code).
>
> Why shouldn't A configure his editor to display a Python program in
> C-like syntax, and B configure their editor to use Python-like tabbed
> syntax?
>
> A can write code in the preferred syntax, and B can view/modify exactly
> the same code in their preferred syntax. What would be the problem?
> (The actual stored representation of the program would be in one of
> those two styles, or something else entirely; Lisp-like syntax for
> example. It doesn't matter because no-one would care.

The only people who would not care are those alone in a bubble who never
share or discuss code with anyone else. Everyone else will care a great
deal.

How could A and B talk about the code to each other? A says "line 56 is
buggy, you need to replace foo{^bar} with foo at bar" and B replies "what are
you talking about? line 56 says foo.bar and foo at bar is a syntax error".

--
Steven