New to Python - block grouping (spaces)

BartC bc at freeuk.com
Sun Apr 19 07:44:56 EDT 2015

On 18/04/2015 03:22, Rustom Mody wrote:
> On Saturday, April 18, 2015 at 6:49:30 AM UTC+5:30, Dan Sommers wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 18:05:52 +0100, BartC wrote:
>>
>>> (Actually *I* would quite like to know why languages don't have
>>> switchable syntax anyway to allow for people's personal preferences.)
>>
>> You want LISP, the programmable programming language.

I don't really want Lisp (not even with a shiny new syntax).

> You got it!!
> One of the deep paradoxes in 'getting' programming is that you cant do
> programming without some syntax; and yet syntax is irrelevant.

Yes, exactly!

When I sometimes want to code in Python, why can't I used my usual syntax?

The tabbing isn't so much of a big deal, but, for example, I normally
use ":=" and  "=" for Python's "=" and "==" operators, and it can be a
nuisance when switching between syntaxes. (At least Python picks up the
use of "=" inside an expression, unlike C...)

--
Bartc