Importing/migrating Mailman mbox files into Google Groups?

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 22:08:39 EDT 2015

On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 6:42 PM, Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> wrote:
> I think I understood that there was an existing archive. My caveat was more
> something to consider before choosing GGroups (too late, and in any case
> hardly a deal breaker, especially since Google finally cleaned up a lot of
> their HTML/text rendering issues).

One more point. The moderator of this defunct list moved the group
from its old place on bikelist.org to Google Groups. It's been there
already for several years. I would propose just stuffing the archives
into the new group except said moderator made the archives of the new
group open only to subscribers. Now that it's been running that way
for several years, it's a bit late to open things up.

> Maybe I could suggest, in addition to uploading the archive as raw messages
> for GGroups to present, uploading the archive as a compressed mbox file for
> members to download if they wish a local archive copy.

I think the existing archives are in MH format. Shouldn't be too
difficult to generate
the usual Mailman-style mbox-file-per-month or perhaps one per year.

Thx,

Skip