New to Python - block grouping (spaces)

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Fri Apr 17 05:37:54 EDT 2015

Op 16-04-15 om 19:10 schreef Steven D'Aprano:
> On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 08:51 pm, BartC wrote:

>>> No more bugs from accidentally forgetting to use optional braces!
>> You get bugs instead from mistakenly using the wrong indentation or
>> losing the correct indentation (accidentally pressing the wrong key for
>> example).
> That's nothing! Python gives you absolutely no protection from accidentally
> typing:
>

>     x += 1
>
> when you actually wanted:
>
>    y -= 2

I find this a bit disingenuous. Each time assignment as an expression comes
up, so that it would be possible to have an assignment in a if or while
condition, few of the regulars seem to have a problem with the argument that
the current choice protects against a particular kind of bug.

The fact that braces protect against a kind of bug you care less about,
is just your preference. That doesn't mean a different preference is
somehow worthy of ridicule.

Mistakes of all kinds happen and I see no reason to ridicule someone for
wishing protect against one kind of mistake, while yourself having the
protection you like.

--
Antoon Pardon