New to Python - block grouping (spaces)

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Thu Apr 16 06:09:44 EDT 2015

On 04/16/2015 11:34 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 6:47 PM, Antoon Pardon
> <antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be> wrote:
>> On 04/16/2015 09:46 AM, alister wrote:
>>
>>> what I find strange is that although these programmers initially disliked
>>> forced indentation they were voluntarily indenting there existing code
>>> anyway. Take a look at your existing code base & see if this would indeed
>>> be the case.
>> The problem is that the logical structure one has in one's head is not always
>> the same as the physical structure one has to implement in. I prefer the
>> indentation of my program to reflect the former instead of the latter. That
>> is impossible in python.
> I agree, but as it turns out, the number of times when this actually
> makes a difference are diminishingly few.

I beg to differ. The most common occurence is a loop with a break condition
in the middle I would prefer such a loop to be written as follows:

repeat:
    some
    code
break_when condition:
    more
    code

Actually I would prefer a more elaborate scheme but would be contend with
a possibility like the above. IMO this is the most occuring pattern where
the logical structure doesn't match the physical structure and it is not
occuring relevantly less now.