xlwt 1.0.0 released!

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Apr 15 19:21:46 EDT 2015

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 08:21 am, Gary Herron wrote:

> On 04/15/2015 02:51 PM, Chris Withers wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm pleased to announce the release of xlwt 1.0.0.
>
> What a curiously incomplete announcement.  Could you tell us what xlwt
> is?  I see no hint here.

Perhaps you stopped reading too soon. There are a few definite hints -- but
only hints -- further down:

[...]
>> If you find any problems, please ask about them on the
>> python-excel at googlegroups.com list, or submit an issue on GitHub:
>>
>> https://github.com/python-excel/xlwt/issues
>>
>> There's also details of all things Python and Excel related here:
>>
>> http://www.python-excel.org/

Presumably xlwt has something to do with Python and eXceL ? And a second
hint:

>> NB: This is likely the last "new feature" release of xlwt. If there
>> are bugs, we will try and fix them, but it may be a slow process. If
>> you're starting a new project, you should probably consider openpyxl
>> or xlsxwriter instead.

Possibly something to do with *writing* Excel documents?

I agree that as announcements go, it lacks a little something, but it sounds
like the xlwt project is being retired so it may not matter.

--
Steven