Installing Python

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Wed Apr 15 16:32:17 EDT 2015

In article <4048AD0C-A403-4141-AB8B-5884A008496A at GilDawson.com>,
 Gil Dawson <Gil at GilDawson.com> wrote:

> Hi--
>
> I'm on MacOS 10.6.8, learning to use Amazon Web Services' Simple Storage
> Service's Command Line Interface (AWS S3 CLI).
>
> They say in their documentation that their CLI needs Python version 2.7 or
> 3.4.  I checked in terminal:
>
> $ python --version
> Python 2.6.1
>
> So I ran the python-2.7.9-macosx10.6.pkg downloaded from
> https://www.python.org/downloads/ and now...
>
> $ python --version
> Python 2.7.9
> $ aws --version
> aws-cli/1.7.22 Python/2.6.1 Darwin/10.8.0
>
> ...it seems to me that the AWS CLI thinks it is still using the old version.
>
> Will this cause problems later?  Can it be fixed?

I don't have any personal experience using that package but, from the
instructions I see on their website, if you followed their instructions
to download and install pip, you've installed aws into the system Python
(2.6) rather than your new Python 2.7.  As of 2.7.9, Pythons installed
from python.org now include their own version of pip.  What you could
try is the following:

1. Uninstall the 2.6 version of aws:

   sudo pip uninstall aws

2. Install aws with the 2.7 version of pip:

   python2.7 -m pip install aws

In the future, whenever something suggests using "pip" or "sudo pip",
just use "python2.7 -m pip" instead to be (more) certain that you are
installing to the Python instance you want.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org