find all multiplicands and multipliers for a number

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Wed Apr 15 13:37:44 EDT 2015

Chris Kaynor <ckaynor at zindagigames.com> writes:
> That code is substantially different that the code that Steven
> D'Aprano posted: Steven's uses filter to call the lambdas, while your
> calls the lambdas from another lambda.

I wouldn't have thought it made a difference, but apparently it does.
Thanks.

> Basically, yours has direct recursion in the Python code, while
> Steven's does not.

I would have said: both have deeply nested function calls but no
recursion per se.

I did another test with Python 2.7.5 under Idle:

    from itertools import ifilter
    def f(xs): return ifilter(lambda x:True, xs)

    def t(n):
        xs = range(10)
        for i in xrange(n): xs = f(xs)
        print list(xs)

and it seemed to survive up to around 130k nested filters, with a
slightly non-deterministic limit: 130900 worked some of the time and
crashed some of the time.  Interesting.