Regular Expression

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Sun Apr 12 21:21:30 EDT 2015

On 12Apr2015 17:55, Pippo <adm2303.2304 at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sunday, 12 April 2015 20:46:19 UTC-4, Cameron Simpson  wrote:
>> It looks like it should, unless you have mangled your regular expression.
[...]
>> Also note that you can print the regexp's .pattern attribute:
>>   print(constraint.pattern)
>> as a check that what was compiled is what you intended to compile.
[...]
>This is the complete code:
[...]

Thank you.

>while j < len(content):
>    constraint = re.compile(r'(#C\[\w*\])')
>    result = constraint.search(content[j])

I notice you seem to have incorporated MRAB's suggestion that the re.MULTILINE
is a parameter for re.compile, not re.search, and also my suggestion that you
don't need it at all.

>    text.append(result)
>    print(constraint.pattern)
>    print(text)
>    print(repr(content[j]))
>    j = j+1
>
>This is the result I get:
>(#C\[\w*\])
>[<_sre.SRE_Match object at 0x10292ee40>]
>'#D{#C[Health] #P[Information] - \n'
>(#C\[\w*\])
>[<_sre.SRE_Match object at 0x10292ee40>, None]

I think you've missed the first line, but the above output looks correct to me
at this point.

You may want to modify your code to say something like this:

    if result is not None:
        text.append(result)

so that you only accrue matches in your text list.

Then there are assorted things that can be done to improve the code in general,
but could you see if you actual bugs are now fixed?

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

A program in conformance will not tend to stay in conformance, because even if
it doesn't change, the standard will.   - Norman Diamond <diamond at jit.dec.com>