Regular Expression

Pippo adm2303.2304 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 20:55:54 EDT 2015

On Sunday, 12 April 2015 20:46:19 UTC-4, Cameron Simpson  wrote:
> [...]
> [...]
> [...]
>
> Note that "None" is not "empty", though in this case more or less means what
> you think.
>
> You're getting None because the regexp fails to match.
>
> >> Try printing each string you're trying to match using 'repr', i.e.:
> >>      print(repr(content[j]))
> >>
> >> Do any look like they should match?
> > print(repr(content[j])) gives me the following:
> >
> >[None]
> >'#D{#C[Health] #P[Information] - \n'
> [...]
> >shouldn't it match "#C[Health]" in the first row?
>
> It looks like it should, unless you have mangled your regular expression. You
> mentioned earlier that you fixed the syntax error, but you never actually
> recited the line after fixing it. Please cut/paste the _exact_ line where you
> compile the regexp as it is now.  Superficially I would expect your regexp to
> work, but we would like to see it as it current is.
>
> Also note that you can print the regexp's .pattern attribute:
>
>   print(constraint.pattern)
>
> as a check that what was compiled is what you intended to compile.
>
> >If not, what is the best way to fetch these items in an array?
>
> What you've got is ok. I would point out that as you're processing each line on
> its own you should not need "re.MULTILINE" in your .compile() call.
>
> Cheers,
> Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>
>
> The upside of PHP is that it lets non-programmers create complex
> applications. The downside of PHP is that it lets non-programmers create
> complex applications. - Elliot Lee

This is the complete code:

import re
import tkinter.filedialog
import readfile

j = 0

text = []

#content = "#C[Health] #P[Information]"

content = readfile.pattread()

while j < len(content):

    constraint = re.compile(r'(#C\[\w*\])')
    result = constraint.search(content[j])
    text.append(result)
    print(constraint.pattern)
    print(text)
    print(repr(content[j]))
    j = j+1

This is the result I get:
(#C\[\w*\])
[<_sre.SRE_Match object at 0x10292ee40>]
'#D{#C[Health] #P[Information] - \n'
(#C\[\w*\])
[<_sre.SRE_Match object at 0x10292ee40>, None]
'means any information, including #ST[genetic information], \n'
(#C\[\w*\])
[<_sre.SRE_Match object at 0x10292ee40>, None, None]
'whether #C[oral | (recorded in (any form | medium))], that \n'
(#C\[\w*\])
[<_sre.SRE_Match object at 0x10292ee40>, None, None, None]
'(1)#C[Is created or received by] a \n'
(#C\[\w*\])
[<_sre.SRE_Match object at 0x10292ee40>, None, None, None, None]
'#A[health care provider | health plan | public health authority | employer | life insurer | school | university | or health care clearinghouse];  \n'
[<_sre.SRE_Match object at 0x10292ee40>, None, None, None, None, None]
'(2)#C[Relates to] #C[the past, present, or future physical | mental health | condition of an individual] | \n'
[<_sre.SRE_Match object at 0x10292ee40>, None, None, None, None, None, None]
'#C[the provision of health care to an individual] | \n'
[<_sre.SRE_Match object at 0x10292ee40>, None, None, None, None, None, None, None]
'#C[the past, present, or future payment for the provision of health care to an individual].}\n'