Generarl programming question.

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Apr 11 17:12:14 EDT 2015

On 4/11/2015 3:19 PM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> Terry Reedy wrote:

>>> Thank you for that description; I shall use it from now on when teaching
>>> laymen about the call stack.
>>
>> What Chris is describing is one local namespace (sheet of paper) per
>> function *call*.

> I *know* what he is describing: the *call* stack.

My comment above was directed not at you specifically but at the OP,
Jonas, who appears to have had a mental model (like the following) in
which recursion is not possible.  I think this mental model is fairly
common among programming newbies.  And it is not crazy, just obsolete
and superceded.  And, we constantly talk about a function's local names,
which is correct, without constantly adding the caveat that in Python
(and most modern languages) they are instanced per call.

I think of functions as being something like a class, in that each call
gives a new instance with a new set of named values.

>> In early Fortran (at least the first version I used),
>> there was one local namespace (sheet) per *function*.
>
> The names in such namespaces are now called static variables.  AFAIK, Python
> does not have them, but PHP, for example, has:
>
>    function foo ()
>    {
>      static $bar = 1;
>      $bar *= 2;
>      return $bar;
>    }
>
> The variable $bar then keeps its last value for subsequent calls of foo().

In Python, one can do something similar with attributes, except that
attributes are easily accessible from outside the function.  Mutable
defaults probably come closer.

def doubler(_val=[1])"
   _val[0] *= 2
   return _val[0]

print(doubler(), doubler(), doubler())
# 2 4 8

>> The call stack was a stack of (pointers to) functions.
>
> It would appear that the commonly used definition of “call stack” has
> considerably changed since then, since I have been programming computers for
> more than two decades now (not including FORTRAN, though) and never heard of
> your definition before.

I don't know what the stack required for returns was called in Fortran
or how it was implemented in any particular compiler.

>> It has been proposed that Python use a hybrid model.  Function objects
>
> Interesting.  I did not know that functions are objects in Python, too.

In Python, everything you can bind a name to is an object, and in 3.x,
an instance of the base class 'object'.

--
Terry Jan Reedy