find all multiplicands and multipliers for a number

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Sat Apr 11 13:52:59 EDT 2015

Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> writes:
> I think it mostly says divisions are not so evil as you think they might
> be.

They are bignum divisions which are much more expensive than machine
divisions.  And it's not just the divisions, it's also the number of
iterations through the whole loop.  And the Python 2 vs Python 3
difference is still unexplained.

> PS Note that you're being "wasteful" by multiplying c*c over and over

Yeah this is a reasonable point, though most of the c's should fit in a
machine word, at least in my 64-bit system.  I think Python still
separates ints and longs in the implementation.