Get nesting of regex groups

Mattias Ugelvik uglemat at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 18:15:42 EDT 2015

(sorry if I'm spamming the mailing list, my reply didn't seem to show
up in the archive)

I'm making a 'declarative string manipulation' tool, the interface of
which should work like this:

...   'separate': '.suffix',
...   'inner': 'abc',
...   'outer': lambda string: 'some-{}-manipulation'.format(string)
... }).apply('a')
'some-abc-manipulation.suffix'

Since the 'inner' group is nested, it should be replaced first, then
the replacement function for 'outer' will continue the replacements.
When 'inner' matches the empty string and its span is identical to
'outer', then I need to know whether it is nested, or if it's outside
like 'separate'.

> Pardon me for stating the obvious,

No problem, I can see why my question is weird. I actually implemented
the interface above before I realized that these ambiguities even
existed.