Automate deployment of Python application from multiple VCS repositories

Matt matthew at baltrusitis.com
Wed Apr 8 08:00:32 EDT 2015

This seems highly do-able with Ansible. They have a git module, if that's your VCS, that fits in here perfectly.

I would make two lists of variables, the first for repo URL/branch info and the second for their destinations. Then Ansible uses simple YAML to write the commands. Here's an overly simplified version that I'm typing up quick on my phone:

- for each item in /git_variables.yml
  git clone {{ host }} {{ branch }} {{ destination }}

Relevant info is here:
http://docs.ansible.com/playbooks_variables.html
http://docs.ansible.com/playbooks_loops.html
http://docs.ansible.com/git_module.html

I'm in #python and #ansible as heatmeiser if you need any low level detail.