Help with pipes, buffering and pseudoterminals

Daniel Ellis ellisd23 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 00:13:41 EDT 2015

Wow, thank you for the long and detailed reply.

As for the question ptys and C, no, I have no experience in that area.
I've read a bit on the master/slave stuff, but I'm still finding it
confusing.  The manpage for pty states that it creates a "pair" of virtual
devices, one master and one slave.  It doesn't seem like these are simple
file descriptors for stdin, stdout, and stderr, given that there is only
one for the master and one for the slave, so I'm really not understanding
what it means for these devices to be created.

One way to do that is for "your-program" to open a pty and itself invoke
> "command-generating-output" with its output via the pty, which is why so
> many tutorials suppose a "fork" situation.

Yeah, I'm beginning to realize that.  It's a shame, but I case the use-case
in the end isn't that big of a deal.

Thanks again for the explanation.  I think I'm understanding a bit better
now, or at least understanding why my current means of tackling the problem
won't work.  I'd still very much like to figure out the reading/writing to
the master & slave stuff though.