Strategy/ Advice for How to Best Attack this Problem?

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 22:16:11 EDT 2015

On Saturday, April 4, 2015 at 1:52:20 AM UTC+5:30, Dave Angel wrote:
> On 04/03/2015 08:50 AM, Saran A wrote:
> > On Friday, April 3, 2015 at 8:05:14 AM UTC-4, Dave Angel wrote:
> >> On 04/02/2015 07:43 PM, Saran A wrote:
> >
> > I addressed most of the issues. I do admit that, as a novice, I feel beholden to the computer - hence the over-engineering.
> >

> Should be quite the opposite.  As a novice, you ought to be testing the
> heck out of your functions, worrying about whether they are properly
> named, properly commented, and properly tested.

I think this is a culture problem.

We dont (typically) take python so seriously that we are 'beholden' (!!!) to
python/computer/python's creator/each other out here/etc.

In other cultures (sometimes called 'bondage-and-discipline' languages
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?BondageAndDisciplineLanguage
you are expected to write mountains of documentation before writing code.

The best we can make out, you are writing too much code, trying out (also
called hacking) too little.

Remember python is named after Monty Python.

If you hunt youtube for Monty python or other productions of John Cleese
like Fawlty Towers you'll get a picture of the spirit

Not directly related but recently posted on this list
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAG39jKi0lI

In short, if you are not having fun you are not getting python.
If you are having fun, mucking around is not taboo...
Also called using the interpreter interactively