A simple single line, triple-quoted comment is giving syntax error. Why?

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 11:25:57 EDT 2015

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 1:13 AM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
>  2. The counterexample "abc" "def" *does* demonstrate that expressions
>     can at times follow each other immediately. It is a nice point even
>     if not all that consequential.
>
>     Somewhat analogously:
>      * ord  is an expression
>      * ("a")  is an expression
>      * ord("a")  is an expression

I'm tired of this also, so I'll make this response short. By analogy to English:

* "far" is an English adverb.
* "lands" is an English noun.
* "far lands" is an English noun phrase.

* Therefore, a noun phrase in English can consist of an adverb
immediately followed by a noun that is modified by the adverb

The fallacy here is that the "far" in "far lands" is used as an
adjective, not an adverb. I think that the same fallacy applies to the
Python expressions above. If you disagree, that's fine; I'll let it
go.