Storage Cost Calculation

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 01:04:43 EDT 2014

On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 8:47 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/Print/2011/11/30/bbc_micro_model_b_30th_anniversary/
>
> At the time, the BBC Micro memory was (I think) expandable: the Model B
> could be upgraded to 128K of memory, double what Bill Gates allegedly said
> was the most anyone would ever need. (He probably didn't say that.) So what
> we need is to find out what an upgrade would have cost.

Actually it was 640K in the alleged Bill Gates quote, although I do
believe that quote has pretty much been debunked. It was allegedly
stated in 1981, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence of it
circulating prior to about 1992. Gates himself denies ever having said
it, and maintains that he in fact held the opposite opinion.