any way to tell at runtime whether a callable is implemented in Python or C ?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Sep 26 14:42:45 EDT 2014

On 9/26/2014 12:10 PM, Ian Kelly wrote:
> [...]

Implementation languages are not part of the language definition and are
not limited to Python and C.  Some CPython extension modules have used
Fortran (perhaps with a very thin C layer).

One way I can think of: apply inspect.signature. If it fails, the
function is not coded in Python.  If it succeeds, pass a correct number
of args but invalid types/values (float('nan') for instance), catch the
exception, and see if the traceback contains a line of Python code from
the function.  (But I am not sure what happens if the function was coded
in Python but the code is not available.)

As someone already asked, why?

>> Cython implemented native functions have a "__code__" attribute, too. Their
>> current "__code__.co_code" attribute is empty (no bytecode), but I wouldn't
>> rely on that for all times either.
>
> Meanwhile, Python classes and objects with __call__ methods have no
> __code__ attribute.

Also, Python functions can call C functions, and many builtin functions
take Python functions as arguments.

--
Terry Jan Reedy