Timedelta constructor with string parameter

Felipe Menezes Machado felipou at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 13:15:43 EDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 6:39 PM, Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 4:11 AM, <felipou at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I created some code recently to parse a string and create a timedelta
>> from it.
>

> Interesting. I notice that dateutil.parser.parse already understands you
> notation:

> datetime.datetime(2014, 9, 23, 5, 32, 15)
>
> All that would be necessary is some way to tell it to generate a timedelta
> instead of a datetime. Might be better to feed changes back to the dateutil
> package maintainers.

Cool, thanks for the tip, I didn't know dateutil yet.

I looked at the code for the dateutil.parser.parse function, and under the
hood it is so much more than my function does. It accepts many different
formats, and also handles timezones. So I'd have to study it a little to
think of a way for it to generate timedelta objects instead of datetime
ones. But I'll definitely keep that in mind!

Felipe