Love to get some feedback on my first python app!!!

Jean-Michel Pichavant jeanmichel at sequans.com
Mon Sep 22 10:32:27 EDT 2014

----- Original Message -----
[snip]

>     #search API
>     rawData =
>     urllib.urlopen('http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/services/search/web?v=1.0&q='+encodedQuery).read()
>     #loads data from API into json
>     jsonData = json.loads(rawData)
>     #extracts the results from API
>     searchResults = jsonData['responseData']['results']
>
> The more normal way to write these would be in present tense, in a
> more imperative style: "Fix some bugs", "Load data", "Extract
> results". (Although these comments are actually quite redundant - all
> they do is tell you what the single next line of code does.)

I used to belong to the cult "don't repeat yourself" in the comments, being angry against people who thought I couldn't understand by myself the simplest line of code.

But I changed my mind. I've read some code comments over the years and best ones (imo) where those which where actually repeating themselves.
Golden rules of comments:

# state what you plan to do
doIt()

For instance:

cells = ['a', 'b' 'c']
# print the first cell
print cell[1]

A bug that is easily spotted thanks to the comment. It's all about implementation versus intentions. Also note that comment should be written for the future self,  and most importantly, for the current others.

JM

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE:

The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium. Thank you.