program to generate data helpful in finding duplicate large files

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Sep 19 19:33:15 EDT 2014

Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 9:04 PM, Steven D'Aprano
>>> Hmm, you sure exit won't work?
>>
>> In the interactive interpreter, exit is bound to a special helper object:
>>
>> py> exit
>> Use exit() or Ctrl-D (i.e. EOF) to exit
>>
>> Otherwise, you'll get NameError.
>
> It's not the interactive interpreter alone. I tried it in a script
> before posting.

Well I'll be mogadored.

Serves me right for not testing before posting.

[...]
> I've no idea how far back to go before it comes up with a NameError.
> However, this is provided (as is made clear by the type lines) by
> site.py, and so can be disabled. But with default settings, it is
> possible to use exit(1) to set your return value.

It's a bad idea to rely on features added to site.py, since they aren't
necessarily going to be available at all sites or in all implementations:

steve at orac:/home/steve$ ipy
IronPython 2.6 Beta 2 DEBUG (2.6.0.20) on .NET 2.0.50727.1433
>>> exit(2)
steve at orac:/home/steve$

Bugger me, I'm going home!

--