hashlib suddenly broken

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Sep 19 01:00:10 EDT 2014

Ned Deily wrote:

> In article
> <CACwCsY4qQ1tYStHukSooeftGe=J-ug2LR8sz6JR0qP58yKKPuQ at mail.gmail.com>,
>  Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Do you think I should install this update? Perhaps that would restore
>> whatever is missing.
>
> Yes. You should install the update in any case and it's unlikely to make
> the hashlib situation worse :=)

However, it is likely to make it impossible to diagnose the problem and stop
it from happening again.

It's not normal behaviour to have functionality just disappear overnight
like this. If Larry is telling the truth that there were no updates
running, *how did the sha-1 library disappear*?

Larry, I recommend that you try Christian's suggestions before upgrading:

  $ echo -n '' | openssl dgst -sha1 -hex
  (stdin)= da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709

  $ openssl version
  OpenSSL 1.0.1f 6 Jan 2014

--
Steven