program to generate data helpful in finding duplicate large files

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Sep 18 19:08:56 EDT 2014

Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 4:45 AM, Chris Kaynor <ckaynor at zindagigames.com> wrote:
>
>>>from stat import *
>
> I was going to say the same thing, except that this module
> specifically is documented as recommending that. I still don't like
> "import *", but either this is a special case, or the docs need to be
> changed.

I think it's something of a special case. The main issue with
import * is that it makes it hard for someone reading the code
to tell where names are coming from.

However, all the names in the stat module are prefixed with
S_ or ST_ and are well-known stat-related names from the unix
C library, so there is less room for confusion in this case.

--
Greg