hashlib suddenly broken

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 13:18:02 EDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 3:07 AM, Steven D'Aprano
> but I expect that's probably not where the problem lies. My *wild guess* is
> that your system updated SSL, and removed some underlying SHA-1 library
> needed by hashlib. SHA-1 is pretty old, and there is now a known attack on
> it, so some over-zealous security update may have removed it.

Or, more likely, the actual code for sha1 is imported from somewhere
else, and *that* module is what's been shadowed. What happens if you
change directory to something with absolutely no .py files in it, then
start interactive Python and try importing hashlib? Maybe you have an
openssl.py or something.

ChrisA