Python docs not accessible from IDLE

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Wed Sep 17 07:15:08 EDT 2014

Wolfgang Maier wrote:

> On 09/17/2014 11:45 AM, Peter Otten wrote:
>> Wolfgang Maier wrote:
>>
>>> since a few days, when I select Help -> Python Docs from the IDLE menu,
>>> the link to the documentation that it tries to open in my browser isn't
>>> working anymore.
>>> The URL IDLE uses (copied from the browser address bar) is :
>>> docs.python.org/3.4
>>> and you have to add a terminal slash for it to work.
>>> Now I don't know why it stopped working
>>> (browser update, change on the python docs server, others?
>>> I'm running idle-python3.4 on Ubuntu 14.04 and Firefox 32.0),
>>> but a possible fix may be to simply make IDLE add the slash.
>>>
>>> Is there anyone else experiencing the same problem ?
>>
>> I have a similar configuration (Linux Mint 17 which is based on Ubuntu
>> 14.04) and I cannot reproduce the problem.
>>

> Hmm, what happens if you just copy/paste
>
> docs.python.org/3.4
>
> into your browser ?

Works without problem.

> Looks like some browsers (like the Ubuntu standard
> browser) automatically add the trailing slash and others (like my
> Firefox 32.0) don't.

The webpage redirects twice:

$ curl --head http://docs.python.org/3.4
HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Location: https://docs.python.org/3.4

$ curl --head https://docs.python.org/3.4
HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Location: https://docs.python.org/3.4/

$ curl --head https://docs.python.org/3.4/
HTTP/1.1 200 OK

When in firefox' about:config I set

network.http.redirection-limit 1

(the original value is 20 over here) I get an "Umleitungsfehler"
(redirection error in german). Maybe you should have a look at this setting.
If that's not the cause -- is there any error message that firefox displays
when you enter docs.python.org/3.4 ?