PyCharm refactoring tool?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Sep 15 15:44:45 EDT 2014

I started up an instance of PyCharm last Friday. It's mostly just been
sitting there like a bump on a log. I set things up to use Emacs as my
editor. It seems most of its functionality won't be all that useful. Most
of my work is on libraries/platforms - stuff which is not runnable in
isolation, so the Run menu doesn't look all that useful. I have git, etc
integrated into my Emacs environment, so don't need the VCS menu. Most
everything else looks fairly genertic.

Except the Refactor menu. Before I try to do much/anything with it, I
thought I would solicit feedback on its capability. Does it work as
intended? I read through the PyCharm help sections on refactoring. It seems
to describe a number of code refactorings which aren't available for Python
code. For example, I don't see an "invert boolean" refactoring.

How useful is PyCharm's refactoring subsystem?

Thx,

Skip