CSV methodology

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Sep 14 03:02:12 EDT 2014

On 9/13/2014 9:34 PM, jetrn at newsguy.com wrote:

> Hello.  Back in the '80s, I wrote a fractal generator, which, over the years,
> I've modified/etc to run under Windows.  I've been an Assembly Language
> programmer for decades.  Recently, I decided to learn a new language,
> and decided on Python, and I just love it, and the various IDEs.
>
> Anyway, something I thought would be interesting, would be to export
> some data from my fractal program (I call it MXP), and write something
> in Python and its various scientific data analysis and plotting modules,
> and... well, see what's in there.

First you need to think about (and document) what your numbers mean and
how they should be organized for analysis.

> An example of the data:
> 1.850358651774470E-0002

Why is this so smaller than the next numbers.  Are all those digits
significant, or are they mostly just noise -- and best dropped by
rounding the number to a few significant digits.

> 32
> 22
> 27
> ... (this format repeats)

After exactly 3 numbers in this range?

> So, I wrote a procedure in MXP which converts "the data" and exports
> a csv file.

Answer the questions above before writing code.  .csf is likely not the
best format to use.

--
Terry Jan Reedy