Newer Debian versions of python on older Debian distros?

Antoine Pitrou antoine at python.org
Sat Sep 13 06:40:10 EDT 2014

Hi,

Chris Angelico <rosuav <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 5:04 AM, Travis Griggs <travisgriggs <at>
gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone have experience with using newer versions of python debian
packages (in particular, python3
> and python3-bson-ext from ‘testing’) on older stable versions (‘wheezy’ in
this case)? If
> someone’s figured out how to do this easily, I’d love to hear the recipe!
> >

> I don't know about grabbing from testing, because that's fraught with
> peril... but there's a pretty easy way to get a newer Python: build
> from source. Basically, the standard incantation: [...]

I know the OP solved their problem now, but for the record, you can also get
binaries of recent Pythons (and other packages) by using conda:
http://conda.pydata.org/miniconda.html#miniconda

This assumes you don't mind having a local install rather than a system install
of Python (something akin to a virtual environment).

Regards

Antoine.