very lightweight gui for win32 + python 3.4

Nagy László Zsolt gandalf at shopzeus.com
Fri Sep 12 12:35:32 EDT 2014

I wrote a small program that copies some files between directories. This
is a special utility program for a particular customer. I could compile
the program into a portable exe with cx_freeze, and the total size is
below 10MB. This customer wants to use this utility on many computers.
He wants me to display a dialog with a progress bar and possibly a label
with some messages while files are copied, and also let the user answer
a question by clicking a button instead of typing in "yes" or "no" into
the console.

So I need to create a GUI mode version of my program. That the customer
should be able to see a progress bar. What kind of GUI toolkit should I
use for this? I would like this to be lightweight, preferably under 5MB
with a very easy API for simple things like create a dialog, put some
labels and a progress bar on it, and finally close the dialog when the
program is finished. (And of course, needs to work with cx Freeze.)

I do not need a full featured cross platform GUI toolkit. What are my
options?

I have been looking at this:

https://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming

The only Windows specific lightweight frameworks are venster and Ocean
but they have not been updated since ages. I know that I can do this
using the win32 API, but I don't really want to learn how to build a
dialog using win32 API calls and then process window message queues....
wxPython and Qt are well known but they are not exactly lightweight.

What are my best options?

Thanks,

    Laszlo

believed to be clean.