Pyston 0.2 released

serge Guelton serge.guelton at enst-bretagne.fr
Fri Sep 12 03:45:32 EDT 2014

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 12:52:15PM -0700, Kevin Modzelewski wrote:

> Hi all, we're excited to announce the existence of Pyston 0.2, a
> much-improved version of our new Python JIT.  The new
> version features greatly improved language support, basic native C API
> support, and an experimental GIL-free mode.  Pyston is now in alpha, and is
> still not ready for general use, but we have hit a significant milestone of
> being able to run a number of existing benchmarks and standard libraries.

Hi Kevin,

Great work! I wonder if (in an undetermined future) the following
scenario could stand to optimize calls to native libraries, like numpy:

- compile numpy into LLVM bytecode
- when meeting a function with a bunch of numpy call, instead of using
  the CAPI, directly call functions from the numpy bytecode and optimize
  evertyhing as a whole?

Keep up the good work!