Thread-ID - how much could be?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 01:41:51 EDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 1:41 PM, Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> wrote:
> On 12Sep2014 11:29, Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info>
> wrote:
>>
>> [...]maxint. I know that some Linux
>> systems can have an uptime over a year, perhaps even two years, but I
>> think
>> that nearly 300 years is asking a bit much.
>

> 2 years is nothing. Unless they have a particularly buggy kernel, most UNIX
> systems, Linux included, will stay up almost indefinitely. We've definitely
> had systems up for well over 2 years.
>
>> Your hardware probably won't
>> keep working that long.
>

> 300 years? Probably not. Regrettably.

Once you get into the counting of years (rather than days), it's all
down to hardware. How long before that hardware needs an upgrade? Does
your incoming power have fail-overs? I don't currently have any
servers with multiple power supplies, so if anything like that goes
bung, my server's down. Doesn't matter how quickly I can bring up an
equivalent on a different hunk of hardware, the uptime's gone.

But yeah. 300 years? Good luck. I don't think anyone's ever going to hit that.

ChrisA