Example of python service running under systemd?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 22:29:27 EDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
> No, you you don't need to do this.  Systemd can handle all of that for
> you.  Read up on the docs on creating systemd services.  Here's a little
> blog post that has some good examples, both a non-daemonizing service
> and a daemonizing service:
>
> http://patrakov.blogspot.com/2011/01/writing-systemd-service-files.html
>
> Any executable file can be turned into a daemon service with systemd
> (whether or not it forks itself into the background).  Thus any python
> script can easily be run from systemd.

I strongly recommend making a non-daemonizing service. It's so much
easier to debug - there's one mode of operation, the script just runs.
You can then run that directly in a terminal, or via tmux, or via
systemd - and I've done all three with Yosemite. In fact, I think I
have instances here on the LAN that are doing all three, right now!

ChrisA