weakref, memory management and execution slow down in PyQt4

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 11:57:02 EDT 2014

On 09/09/2014 09:37 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 1:32 AM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes you're correct.  It is the equivalent.  But it always involves
>> lookup in the object's dictionary, which is big O order O(n log n)
>> complexity for each and every access.
>
> Where do you get that figure from? A CPython dictionary is implemented
> as a hashtable, so algorithmic complexity of lookups ought to be O(1).

You're right, it is.  My mistake.  Guess the main issue is the overhead
of an additional function call.  A dict directly or a list directly may
me faster.

Anyway, I guess we're wandering in the weeds a bit as the original issue
is probably not related to his unorthodox choice of metaprogramming as a
data model.