Installing Python 3

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Mon Sep 8 22:23:20 EDT 2014

In article
<CAMBEgTEobpYpbYuyJnNKNB+jwdWP6+axWhAH9MXU-nOvrp-9PQ at mail.gmail.com>,
 Ashley Forman <forma105 at mail.chapman.edu> wrote:
>   My name is Ashley Forman, and I am emailing because I cannot install
> python onto my Mac laptop! I have installed Active-TCl 8.5 along with
> Python 3.3 and tried with 3.4, and couldn't figure out a solution to my
> problem. When I click on IDLE to open, it does not open at all. Therefore,
> if you have any information that could help me, then I would really
> appreciate it! Thank you!

Clicking on the IDLE icon is fine - unless it is doesn't work, in which
case error messages associated with the failure may end up in a system
log rather than being display directly to you.  It's easier to debug
problems like this by launching IDLE from a terminal session than by
double-clicking on it.  Assuming you installed Python 3.4 (3.4.1 is
current) from one of the python.org installers, open a terminal shell
window, for example by using the Terminal.app (found in
/Applications/Utilities).  Then, in the shell window, try typing:

/usr/local/bin/idle3.4

If IDLE fails, there should be some sort of error message in the
terminal window.  If it is not clear what the problem is, copy and paste
them to the group here.

You can also just try launching Python itself and verify that it works
without IDLE:

/usr/local/bin/python3.4

Good luck!

--