Posting style: interleaved responses (was: My backwards logic)

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pylist at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 00:04:33 EDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 10:06 PM, Juan Christian
<juan0christian at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 11:37 PM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au>
> wrote:
>>
>> Juan Christian <juan0christian at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > @Mark Lawrence: Sorry to ask, but what do you mean by "don't top post
>> > here, thanks.", I'm not familiar with mailing lists, so I may be doing
>> > something wrong and I don't know.
>>
>> Please post your responses interleaved with the quoted material to
>> which you're responding. See the article on “interleaved style”
>> <URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style>. And
>> trim any quoted material to which you're not responding, so your message
>> only contains relevant material.
>>
>> --
>>  \            “Human reason is snatching everything to itself, leaving |
>>   `\           nothing for faith.” —Bernard of Clairvaux, 1090–1153 CE |
>> _o__)                                                                  |
>> Ben Finney
>>
>> --
>

> Like that?

Almost.  I left your entire message intact up to this point so you can
see what you sent, though you may need to click the [...] to expand it
[1].  (Normally, I would edit out everything but the actual message
I'm replying to ("Like that?") and some context from Ben's message.)

> I'm using gmail so it automatically put the text in the [...]
> icon.

Gmail (which I also use) requires a little bit of extra effort to
abide by proper mailing list etiquette; in particular, you should
always expand the [...]-hidden text and edit out what you don't need
to send such as signatures and footers from the message you're
replying to.  Then add your replies immediately after the text you're
actually responding to, like I've done with this paragraph and my
previous one.  It's also best to choose "plain text mode" from the
little menu at lower-right (choose that before you actually edit the
message at all, though, or set it as the default.  Changing it
mid-message causes havoc with the formatting).

It's at least a step up from a certain other Google interface to this
list, and I think I speak for everyone in saying "thank you for being
willing to learn proper etiquette" :)

--
Zach

[1] Or look here: