Run an http server on Apache without wsgi?

Frank Millman frank at chagford.com
Fri Sep 5 03:26:43 EDT 2014

Hi all

My AccInABox project runs an http server. Previously I used the cherry.py
wsgiserver, but I have now switched to asyncio.

I tried to use the wsgi interface, but I have a particular requirement and
found that wsgi got in the way, so I dropped it and now handle all requests
directly.

Now the question arises, what if someone wants to run my program under
Apache or nginx? I have had some feedback from a sysadmin, whose main
concern is how to deploy my program, which is something I have not given
serious thought to.

If the answer is that I really should be using wsgi, I will explain my
specific requirement in more detail, and see if anyone can suggest a
workaround.

But at this stage, I would like to discuss whether it is possible to avoid
using wsgi. Should I be looking at FastCGI, or is that now considered
outdated?

I would appreciate any pointers or links to get me started.

Thanks

Frank Millman