Python is going to be hard

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 22:56:58 EDT 2014

On Friday, September 5, 2014 8:01:00 AM UTC+5:30, Chris Angelico wrote:

> That's one particular example that's from Unix. I've seen (and
> written) Windows GUI programs that use consoles, too. And OS/2 ones.
> Can't speak for Mac OS Classic as I've never used it, but I'd be
> surprised if it's not possible.

> So I still stand by my statement that console output is a fundamental,
> and it's not a bad thing to teach it.

If what is fundamental is what should be taught (first) then we should
start with machine language because everything bottoms out into
that. Yes?

The most logical order and the optimal pedagogical order are not
usually the same and they may both differ from the factual historical
order.

In here Ive laid out the history of CS as it unfolded
blog.languager.org/2011/02/cs-education-is-fat-and-weak-1.html

And the consequent pedagogical confusions and logical inconsistencies
of choosing not to 'reconfigure' our history:
blog.languager.org/2011/02/cs-education-is-fat-and-weak-2.html

Including this that my teacher's teacher of programming was taught
assembly as the first programming language because it was easy and
Fortran (II??) only later because it was advanced and difficult.
This was right in 1960. Its wrong today.

Likewise here. In C we have no choice but to produce standalone
executables.  Imposing the same impoverishment onto a beginner by
teaching script-writing before the REPL is a miserable choice.