Python is going to be hard

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 22:33:41 EDT 2014

On Thursday, September 4, 2014 7:56:31 AM UTC+5:30, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 12:10 PM, Rustom Mody wrote:
> >> Why are you so dead against print?
> > Because it heralds a typical noob code-smell
> > [especially  when the OP admits that BASIC is his background]

> And, of course, all those lovely Unix programs that produce output on
> stdout, they're full of code smell too, right? I don't care what
> someone's background is; console output is *not* code smell.

Tell me the same after having taught a few thousand students
If you are at the level of writing useful unix scripts, you are not
going to be asking these questions.

> Anyway, all you're doing is relying on the magic of interactive mode
> to call repr() and print() for you.

Yes its usually called DRY.
That P in the REPL is put in a neat and nifty place. Why repeat?

> >> Yes, or the OP could work with actual saved .py files and the
> >> reliability that comes from predictable execution environments... and
> >> use print.
> > Dunno what you are talking about
> > The interpreter-REPL is less reliable than a script?

> When you start a script, you have a consistent environment - an empty
> one. When you write a series of commands in the interactive
> interpreter, the environment for each one depends on all the preceding
> commands. So when you have a problem, you might have to copy and paste
> the entire interpreter session, rather than just the one command.

Agreed. Thats a downside.
Very minor compared to the mess induced by unstructured print-filled noob code.