Python is going to be hard

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 15:11:51 EDT 2014

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 12:49 PM, Seymore4Head
<Seymore4Head at hotmail.invalid> wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 14:10:42 -0400, Seymore4Head
> <Seymore4Head at Hotmail.invalid> wrote:
>
>>import math
>>import random
>>import sys
>>b=[]
>>steve = [1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89]
>>for x in steve:
>>    print (steve[x])
>>
>>Traceback (most recent call last):
>>  File "C:\Functions\blank.py", line 7, in <module>
>>    print (steve[x])
>>IndexError: list index out of range
>
> Ok, I understand now that x is actually the first item in the list.
> What I want is a loop that goes from 1 to the total number of items in
> the list steve.

If you want the indexes also, you can do this:

for i, x in enumerate(steve):
    print(i, x)

If you really want just the indexes and not the values, then you can do this:

for i in range(len(steve)):
    print(i)

Most of the time though you will not need the indexes, and it will be
simpler just to work with the values by looping directly over the
list.