Define proxy in windows 7

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 23:02:38 EDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 12:06 PM, Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> wrote:
> I am not a Windows user, but on UNIX systems the format of http_proxy and
> https_proxy is:
>
>   http://proxyname:3128/
>
> being the proxy hostname and port number respectively. You're saying:
>
>   proxyname:8080
>
> instead. (Note, https_proxy _also_ starts with "http:", not "https:" because
> the communication with the proxy is HTTP.)
>
> Try the longer form.  And ensure you have the port number right; proxies do
> not normally listen on port 80; they tend to listen on port 3128 or 8080.

These tips may help. (Though on Windows, where port 80 requires no
special privileges, it's more likely for a proxy to use that than it
is under Unix. So it's entirely possible it is actually on 80.) But
what I'm seeing is a problem with environment variable setting in the
first place - or else a transcription problem in the original post.

Try this:

set http_proxy=proxy name:80

If that doesn't work,*copy and paste* what you're doing and what
happens when you do. Include the prompt, the command, and its output.
That'll make it easier for us to figure out what's going on.

ChrisA