This could be an interesting error

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 02:53:09 EDT 2014

On Monday, September 1, 2014 10:42:46 AM UTC+5:30, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Larry Hudson wrote:
> > While this is definitely OT, I strongly suggest you take the time to learn
> > to touch-type. (Actually, I would recommend it for everyone.)  It's true
> > that it will take time, effort, practice and diligence, especially time and
> > practice, but if you do make the effort you'll never regret it.
> > Eventually you'll find that you think (or read) a word, your fingers will
> > wiggle a little bit and that word suddenly appears on screen.  It's an
> > _*EXTREMELY*_ useful ability -- well worth the time and effort.

> Indeed. And once you have that skill, you basically spend most of your
> coding time thinking, rather than typing - and the exact keystroke
> costs stop mattering much. (It makes little difference whether you
> type at 100wpm or 300wpm if you don't have 100 words to type each
> minute.)

> As an added bonus, you'll be able to work blind with barely more
> difficulty than when you have a screen in front of you. That's not
> hugely beneficial, but when the time comes, you'll be glad of it.
> Earlier this year I was typing up a bug report in a program that
> somehow managed to be so flawed that it could take only two keystrokes
> per second - so I typed way WAY ahead, then went off and made myself a
> hot chocolate while it painstakingly processed everything I'd typed.
> Same goes if, for whatever reason, you can't see your fingers - maybe
> the lights in your office have gone out, the screen wasn't on UPS, and
> you need to key in an orderly shutdown command while you're unable to
> see *anything*. (Which is what the little F and J pips are for. You
> can align your fingers on the keyboard in the dark.)

Right.
And the next logical conclusion is to use emacs :-)
Or vi.  ie editors whose default mode of use is mouseless.

| Using the mouse is almost always the worst possible violation of
| economy of motion, because you have to pick your hand up and fumble
| around with it. The mouse is a clumsy instrument, and Emacs gurus
| consider it a cache miss when they have to resort to using it.

Steve Yegge at https://sites.google.com/site/steveyegge2/effective-emacs

Note: (In case its not quite clear) I am being part-facetious.
In the emacs (and vi?) worlds this is carried to ridiculous cult-extremes.
Yet there's some truth there, for those who are so inclined.