Implementing pdfkit and wkhtmltopdf on windows fails

robert brook software.by.python at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 12:46:21 EDT 2014

I am able to install both of these packages on my mac at home and it works well.

I am trying to install on windows 7 at work and it fails.  PDFKit is trying to find the wkh package and it cannot. I have entered the full path to the exe for the environment variables and the error below is spit out.

If I explicitly cd into the directory that has the executable the script works fine

>>> import os
>>> path='C:\\wkhtmltopdf\\bin\\'
>>> os.chdir(path)
>>> pdfkit.from_string('Hello!', 'out.pdf')

Where can I specify the path to the executable?

*************
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "C:\Applications\python_33_32_bit\lib\site-packages\pdfkit-0.4.1-py3.3.eg
g\pdfkit\api.py", line 66, in from_string
  File "C:\Applications\python_33_32_bit\lib\site-packages\pdfkit-0.4.1-py3.3.eg
g\pdfkit\pdfkit.py", line 39, in __init__
  File "C:\Applications\python_33_32_bit\lib\site-packages\pdfkit-0.4.1-py3.3.eg
g\pdfkit\configuration.py", line 27, in __init__
OSError: No wkhtmltopdf executable found: "b''"
If this file exists please check that this process can read it. Otherwise please
 install wkhtmltopdf - https://github.com/JazzCore/python-pdfkit/wiki/Installing
-wkhtmltopdf