Python Style Question

Anton anton.schattenfeld at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 06:42:22 EDT 2014

Let's say I have an incoming list of values *l*. Every element of *l* can be one of the following options:
1) an integer value
2) a string in form of '<int_value>', e.g. '7'
3) a string with a json serialization of an integer value, e.g. '"7"'
4) something else that should be ignored

I need to transform this list into another list with values from options 1)-3) coerced to int. The code below should do this.

Variant 1
===

values = []
for c in l:
	# Case 1) or 2)
	try:
		c_int = int(c)
	except ValueError:
		pass
	else:
		values.add(c_int)
		continue

	# Case 3)
	try:
		c_int = int(json.loads(c))
	except ValueError:
		pass
	else:
		values.add(c_int)
		continue

===

Is this code ugly?
Does it follow EAFP?
Am I missing something in language best practice?

Or maybe below is more preferable way with a nested try...except clause?

Variant 2
===
values = []
for c in l: