XML Patch

Nicholas Cole nicholas.cole at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 03:49:14 EDT 2014

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 7:28 AM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> please keep this on-list.

Sorry about that. Wrong button!

[snip]

>> Yes - I want to store a series of XML diffs/patches and be able to
>> generate documents by applying them.
>
> Could you be a little more specific? There are lots of ways to generate
> XML, but I never heard of anyone who wanted to do this based on diffs
> between other documents. What kind of document differences are you talking
> about here?

I don't think the specific documents matter, and I don't think it's a
unique use-case.  Here's Microsoft talking about XML diff and patching
(including a hypothetical example):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/aa302294.aspx

There's a tool here to do it:

http://xmlpatch.sourceforge.net

I'd just really like to be able to do something similar in Python.

Best wishes,

N.