(test) ? a:b

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 23:05:46 EDT 2014

On 10/25/2014 07:20 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> So don't use Python idioms in BASIC. :) Back when I used to write
> BASIC code, I'd do explicit comparisons with zero for this sort of
> thing... these days, I'd use Python idioms, but I'd also write Python
> code :)
>
> I think it's indicative that the BASIC code I'm most proud of was
> consciously getting around language limitations (I wrote a mess of
> code in assembly language and Q-BASIC to allow my programs to use the
> mouse), but the Python code I'm most proud of is using the language's
> strengths.

Hey I did the same thing in Turbo and then later Power BASIC.

I have a soft spot for BASIC, and now with FreeBASIC releasing their 1.0
release (object-oriented capabilities and the works), I revisited a bit
of my BASIC past.  Translated a few programs from Turbo and Power BASIC
into the more modern FreeBASIC dialect.  But now that that's done, it's
back to Python, where I'm going to stay!  Python reminds me of the best
BASIC had to offer plus a whole lot more.